Seema Vankaya Curry is a quick, fragrant, flavorful, low carb and low calorie curry, can be served with rice, Jonna Rotte (Jowar roti), chapathi, poori, millet rotis like sadda rotte also. This vegetable can be used in making curry, halwa (sweet), raita, and kootu. It can also be baked, fried, boiled, or mashed. When grated, we can use it in rotis such as bottle gourd roti and also in chapathis. Adding this in a dal, sambar or majjiga pulusu can be very easy to add nutrition in the diet without adding many calories. Chayote curry can be cooked in many ways. To save time, once the chayote is cooked, you can directly use green kobbera karam also without grinding any masala.
It doesn’t take much time to cook this veggie, so it’s perfect to use in your meal plan and for lunch boxes. Curry with this veggie can be cooked in many ways.
Seema Vankaya is a low carb, low calorie, and watery vegetable. This is also known as Chayote. This belongs to the gourd family such as bottle gourd, Ash gourd (white pumpkin), zucchini, cucumber, melon. Seema Vankaya is an edible squash that is grown in the Caribbean, Asia, Florida, Central, And South America. Similar to bottle gourd and ash gourd, this is also very low in calories, hence aids in weight loss and also good for diabetics since it has very low carb index.
Chayote contains vitamins and minerals, including loads of vitamin C and folic acid, plus moderate amounts of vitamin K, B6, manganese, copper, and zinc. Chayote also contains small amounts of calcium and iron.
You may also like other curry recipes:
- Gummadi kaaya Koora | Pumpkin Curry – Sankranthi Gummadi Koora
- Aloo Vankaya Masala|Potato Brinjal Curry|Alu Baingan Masala
- Bottle Gourd Coconut Milk Curry
How to make Seema Vankaya Curry
PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 15 MINS TOTAL TIME: 20 MINS COURSE: SIDES CUISINE: SOUTH INDIAN SERVINGS : 4
- seema vankayalu (chayote) – 2 – peeled, chopped
- coriander seeds – 1.5 tbsp
- sesame seeds – 2 tsp
- green chilies – 2 (use 4 for more heat)
- ginger – 1″
- oil – 2 tbsp
- turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- Grind coriander seeds, cilantro, green chilies, sesame seeds and ginger. Keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add 1 tsp urad dal(black gram), 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp jeera(cumin), 2 red chillies.
- When the dal turns golden, add chopped seema vankaya, few curry leaves, and turmeric. Cover and cook till the veggies becomes 90% soft on medium flame.
- Add the ground paste and salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 4 more mins.
- Serve hot or warm with steamed rice with ghee or chapathi or poori or jowar roti or sadda roti or masala jowar roti or any other flat breads.
- Chayote cooks very fast with it’s own water content, don’t need to add more water to cook.
Step by step photo instructions
- Grind 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds, cilantro, 2-4 green chilies, 2 tsp sesame seeds, and 1″ ginger. Keep aside.
2. Heat a pan with oil, add 1 tsp urad dal(black gram), 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp jeera(cumin), 2 red chillies.
3. When the dal turns golden, add chopped seema vankaya, few curry leaves, and 1/2 tsp turmeric. Cover and cook till the veggies becomes 90% soft on medium flame.
4. Add the ground paste and salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 4 more mins.
5. Serve hot or warm with steamed rice with ghee or chapathi or poori or jowar roti or sadda roti or masala jowar roti or any other flat breads.
Hey, thanks for stopping by, make it a great day and make something yummy!!
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Youtube?
Thanks for reading and subscribe to sirisblog.com (Siri’s Food Lab) to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.
[…] Seema Vankaya Curry | Chayote Curry […]