This healthy oatmeal can be made instantly in just 2 mins. This is very filling and satisfying with fruit you love. Oats have so many health benefits! Oats are a whole grain, low in saturated fat, low in cholesterol, naturally gluten-free and a good source of fiber, thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese. The soluble fiber in oatmeal can also help lower cholesterol levels and reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. Plus, there’s something about oatmeal, that warms the soul. 😉
The little packages of oatmeal often have a lot of sugar in them, so it’s always best to make your own!
There are SO many ways to cook oats. Really..! You can bake them, cook them on the stove top, make overnight oats or even make oatmeal in the microwave.
I’m sharing how to cook oatmeal in microwave and also providing instructions for making oatmeal on stove top below but the key to making *good* oatmeal?! It’s the mix-ins and toppings! I love mixing in fruits especially berries.. No more boring bowls of oats!
You may like my other Oats Recipes:
- Instant Quinoa Oats Ponganalu|Oats Paniyaram
- Vegetable Masala Oats | Healthy Indian Masala Oats Recipe
- Energy Boost Bars | Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Instant Quinoa Oat Idli
- Banana Milkshake | Banana Oat Milkshake
Basic Healthy Oatmeal Recipe
PREP TIME: 1 MIN COOK TIME: 2 MIN TOTAL TIME: 3 MINS YIELDS: 1
A basic healthy oatmeal recipe with instructions for how to cook Quick Oats or Instant oatmeal on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- quick or instant oat meal – 1/2 cup
- milk – any milk eg: oats milk, soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk – 1 to 1.25 cups
- walnuts – few
- dried craisins or raisins – 2 tbsp (optional)
- berries or any fruits and toppings of your choice..
Instructions for cooking in the microwave
- Add 1/2 cup oats, 1.25 cups milk into a microwave-safe bowl and stir to combine. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir and continue to microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each, until you have the oatmeal mixture to the desired consistency.
- I usually cook them for a total of 2 minutes (adjust as per your microwave settings), but you’ll know it’s done when most the liquid is absorbed. If it gets too dry, add some more milk. Oatmeal absorbs lot of moisture. It gets thicker as it cools down.
2. Carefully remove from microwave (bowl will be hot) and top with your favorite oatmeal toppings.
Instructions for cooking on the Stove top
- Add oats and milk to a small sauce pan over medium/high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- You oatmeal is ready when the oats have soaked up most of the liquid and are creamy. Transfer to a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
- You may add sugar if you crave for more sweeter taste.
- You can add any fruits and nuts.
- Craisins (dried cranberries) taste great if you want milder sweetness.
- You can use any milk.