Super quick protein packed, healthy and delicious salad made with freshly sprouted moong beans with your choice of veggies and freshly grated coconut. The best thing is there is no cooking process involved and more nutrients in low cost. Protein value increases as they sprouting longer in size. This can be perfectly served as a side to your lunch or for a quick healthy morning breakfast or for dinner with 1 or 2 dates on side. People who follow Naturopathy, Use these sprouts as a breakfast every day. Dr. Manthena Sathyanaraya Raju, who is a Naturopathy doctor and have been widely spreading and sharing his knowledge in Naturopathy and about natural food choices for vegetarians for many years at free of cost.
Sprouts are ideal for weight loss, rich in vitamins and minerals, production of good hormones, high energy, muscle building, high proteins and fiber, regulates hormones, regulates thyroid, diabetic friendly and suitable for many dietary requirements and very low in calories. Longer sprouts means, more in value, protein, micro nutrients, glow in skin, and easy to digest.
In this recipe, I have used homemade moong bean sprouts and it took me around 2 days to sprout moong or mung. You may also use store bought sprouts to cut down the sprouting time. Adding ingredients like pomegranates, raisins, and dates stimulates saliva secretions to eat and chew them easily. For healthy living, It is suggestible to have sprouts as a breakfast every day!
How to make Sprouts
1 fistful of un soaked beans is enough for 1 person.
If using more than 1 type of beans, use them separately. Soak separately, sprouting them in separate containers. Just mix them when eating.
- Rinse 3 times, then soak overnight. Then drain all the water, and rinse them again in clean water.
- Method 1 – Transfer them to a yogurt container, make holes on the lid. Close the lid and keep them in a dark place for at least 1 to 2 days. Please check on them after 1 day.
- Method 2 – Add the rinsed moist beans to a moist cheese cloth or muslin cloth, then tie a knot. Place this in a bowl and partially cover it.
- If the cloth dries up, sprinkle a little water to moist the beans. Do not pour a lot of water, otherwise they begin to rot.
- Method 3 – Transfer rinsed moist beans to a steel container, place a lid on top. Just keep it on the counter. You will see sprouts within 1-2 days. Always check them and stir them once after 1 day.
Ingredients to use with sprouts
- Sprouts – Moong sprouts, wheat sprouts, Peas sprouts, Ragi or pearl Millet sprouts, kala chana (brown small chickpea) sprouts, red chori(alasandalu) sprouts, lentil sprouts or black eyed peas sprouts..
- Dry fruits – Dates, Raisins, Dried cranberries, Soaked peanuts, Soaked almonds, Sunflower seeds and Pumpkin seeds.
- Veggies and Leaves – you can use carrot, radish, cucumber, onion, sweet corn, raw mango, red capsicum, tomato, zucchini, lemon, ginger, cilantro, mint, parsley, microgreens…
- Spices – Salt, Pepper, Chaat masala, green chillies, red chilly powder.
- Fruits – Pomegranate, Papaya, Banana, Apple, Pine apple, Grapes, Cantaloupe.
Variations + Combinations for you to try
You can try many different combinations to make Sprouts. Some people like them with fruits, some with veggies.. Try and see which combo you like best. You can also add Microgreens in these any of the salads. Here I am suggesting 7 combinations, you can customize more with your imagination and creativity…
- Mixed sprouts + Soaked Peanuts + Grated Coconut + Grated Carrot + Lemon Juice + Green Chilly with Date on side.
- 3 types of any sprouts + Pomegranate + Dates or Raisins.
- Sprouts + Apples + Pineapple + Soaked almonds + Lime Juice or chilly.
- Sprouts + carrot + Lime Juice + Grated Coconut + Green chillies + Red Capsicum with Dates on side
- Mixed Sprouts + Tomato + Onion + Grated Carrot + Grated Raw Mango + Cilantro + Green Chillies + dried cranberries or seeds.
- Sprouts + Papaya + Banana + Cantaloupe.
- Sprouts + Sweet Corn + Green chilly + Onion + Lemon Juice.
More Salad Recipes:
- Cantaloupe Salad with Mint
- Chana | Chick pea Salad
- Strawberry Quinoa Spinach Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Salad | 5 Min Salad
- Millet Salad
How to Eat
If you want to try veggies combo, you can mix all the veggies you may like, and mix well with lemon juice to balance the flavor. No salt needed. Take a spoonful of sprouts and then bite a piece of Date. My family loves this combination by tasting mix of spicy, sour, sweet, all tastes at once.
Please try all the combinations, and let me know which one becomes your favorite and also try your own combos and please message me your favorite ones, I will definitely try:)
How to make Sprouts Salad
PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 0 MINS TOTAL TIME: 5 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE AND SIDES CUISINE: INDIAN SERVINGS : 2
- moong sprouts – 1-1.25 cups
- grated carrot – 2-3 tbsp
- cucumber – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- pomegranate seeds – 1/4 cup
- grated fresh coconut – 1 tbsp
- green chilly – 1/2 tsp, finely chopped (adjust to your spice level)
- lime juice – 2-3 tsp
- medjool dates – 1-2
- Take sprouts into a mixing bowl, add grated carrot, cucumber, grated coconut, green chilly, pomegranate seeds and lime juice. Mix well to combine.
- Serve with a date on to take a small bite for every spoonful of sprouts.
- People who want to loose weight, omit adding peanuts/ground nuts.
- If you don’t like adding fruits, you can try many variations with veggies.
- Please do not add salt at all in any combinations above. They taste good without salt.
- Add lemon juice to balance flavors.
- Use green chillies for the best results instead of red chilly powder.
- Any grains cause gas. So start off with little quantities until your body adjusts and then increase the serving size.
- Don’t forget to drink lots of water.
- More longer sprouts means more value and nutrition.
- Pomegranate seeds make a good combination with anything.
Step by step photo instructions
Hey, thanks for stopping by, make it a great day and make something yummy!!
Thanks for reading and subscribe to sirisblog.com (Siri’s Food Lab) to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.