Bruschetta is a lip smacking delicious classic Italian starter. This incredible food is done in minutes with a few simple ingredients. Bruschetta is one of the best ways to enjoy the summer. Toasted bread gets rubbed with garlic (don’t skip it, it’s the best part) and topped with simply marinated tomatoes. The brighter and juicier your tomatoes, the better your bruschetta will be. Chopped fresh tomatoes with garlic, basil, olive oil, and pepper served on toasted slices of French or Italian bread. It’s a perfect party starter.
Bruschetta is very simple to make. We just need Juicy, ripe tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, French Baguette or Italian bread or any crusty bread toasted in the oven. Rub the hot toast with garlic. This is a little trick that gives bruschetta better flavor and taste than just mixing garlic through the tomato mixture.
More Italian favorites you may like:
- Very Veggie Lasagna
- Aglio E Olio | 5 Ingredient Pasta Recipe
- Vegetarian Pasta Carbonara with Spinach
- Panna Cotta
How to make Bruschetta
PREP TIME: 10 MINS COOK TIME: 6 MINS TOTAL TIME: 16 MINS COURSE: APPETIZER/STARTER CUISINE: ITALIAN SERVINGS : 3
- French Baguette or Italian bread – cut into 1/2″ slices
- Ripe tomatoes – 6-7
- Black pepper – 3/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper – 3/4 tsp
- Basil leaves – 1/4 cup chopped
- Garlic – 3 pods minced
- Dried basil – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garlic pods – 2 big, to rub on baguette
Making Marinated Tomatoes:
- Cut tomatoes in half. Deseed the tomatoes using a spoon (reserve for other use) then dice into 1/2 cm pieces.
- Place tomatoes and remaining topping ingredients except salt in a bowl and gently toss to mix. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes for the flavors to blend and the tomatoes to become juicy and soften slightly. Add salt and mix just before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit (can also be done in an air fryer).
- Slice the bread into 1/2″ pieces and brush each side of bread with oil then grill/broil until golden and crusty – about 3 minutes on each side, then rub tops of bread with halved garlic cloves.
Spoon tomatoes on top of bread just before serving. You may sprinkle some olive oil on Bruschetta just before serving.
- If you don’t have a oven or air fryer, you can toast bread slices using a pan on stove top.
- If broiling the bread, keep on low setting, and broil for 2-3 mins.
- Don’t skip the bread rubbing with garlic part.
- You can use the seeds removed from tomatoes in any other recipe like dal, rasam….
step by step photo instructions
- Deseed 6-7 tomatoes using a spoon (reserve for other use) then dice into small pieces.
- Place tomato and 1/4 cup finely chopped onions, 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper, 3/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 cup fresh basil, 1 tsp dried basil and 3 minced garlic pods, in a bowl and gently toss to mix.
- Close with plastic cling wrap and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes or refrigerate for the flavors to blend and the tomatoes to become juicy and soften slightly. Add salt and mix just before serving.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit.
4. Slice the bread into 1/2″ pieces and brush each side of bread with oil or spray oil, then grill/broil until golden and crusty – about 3 minutes on each side.
5. Then rub tops of bread with halved garlic cloves.
4. Spoon tomatoes on top of bread just before serving. Sprinkle some more extra virgin oil while serving (optional).
Hey, thanks for stopping by, make it a great day and make something yummy!!
Thanks for reading and subscribe to https://sirisblog.com (Siri’s Food Lab) to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.