Vegetable Lasagna is one of the most favorite dishes for dinner at my home. This vegetarian lasagna is cheesy and loaded with vegetables and tomato sauce. I took a couple of shortcuts for this recipe by using oven-ready and 100% Durum Semolina Lasagna sheets and store-bought Rao’s home made marinara sauce(all purpose tomato sauce). Any pasta sauce/marinara sauce can be used. It saves a lot of time without sacrificing any flavor. You can also make tomato sauce at home from scratch.
Packed with vegetables, durum semolina pasta and mozzarella cheese make it healthy, protein rich, wholesome, nourishing and absolutely delicious.
Lasagna also makes great leftovers! Leftover lasagna can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Just warm up the slices in the microwave, or reheat(covered with foil) in a 350°F oven or an air fryer until the cheese is bubbly.
How to make Very Veggie Lasagna
PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 25 MINS BAKING TIME: 50 MINS TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE CUISINE: ITALIAN SERVINGS : 5
- Since I am using oven ready Lasagna sheets, these don’t need to be cooked before baking.
- If you prefer regular lasagna sheets, you need to cook them in water (see the instructions on the package) before layering and baking. After cooking, baking these take around 20-25 min.
- If you are cooking for only 2-3 people, you will only need half of the measures of the ingredients given below.
Tomato Sauce with Roasted Veggies
- tomato sauce(pulp) – 3 cups (I used Rao’s marinara sauce, you can use any marinara sauce)
- garlic – 4 tsp
- oregano – 1 tsp
- oil – 2 tbsp
- onion – chopped – 1 cup
- tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
- chilli flakes – 1 tbsp
- red chilli powder – 1 tsp (can go up to 2 tsp)
- sugar – 1 tsp
- capsicum/bell peppers green/red/orange/yellow – all mixed – 1 cup
- baby corn – 1/2 cup
- carrots – 1/2 cup
- zucchini – 1/2 cup
- salt – 2 tsp/to taste
- Heat a pan with oil. Add garlic and, onion. Saute them for 3 mins.
2. Add chopped capsicum, carrots, zucchini and baby corn. Saute the veggies for 3 mins.
3. Now add 3 cups tomato sauce, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tbsp chilli flakes, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp red chilli powder, salt and 4 tbsp tomato ketchup. Mix well and cook them for around 5 mins. At this point you can check for salt and spiciness, adjust per your taste. Set it aside. (you can reduce the chilli powder if kids are eating).
White Sacue/Creamy Vegetables
- butter – 2 tbsp
- garlic paste – 2 tsp
- baby corn – 1/2 cup
- capsicum – all colored – 1 cup
- zucchini – 1/2 cup (optional)
- milk – 2 cups
- maida/all purpose flour – 2 tbsp
- salt – 1 tsp/to taste
- pepper – 2 tsp
- chilli flakes – 1 tsp (optional) – this may change the white sauce color a little bit. Omit if making for kids.
- Combine 2 cups milk and 2 tbsp flour in a deep bowl, whisk well until no lumps remain. Keep it aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a broad non-stick pan, add 2 tsp garlic paste and saute on medium flame for a few seconds. Add 1 tsp chilli flakes, saute for a few seconds. Add veggies, saute on medium flame for 4-5 mins.
3. Pour in milk-flour mixture, 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp pepper. Mix well and cook on medium heat for 2-3 mins, while stirring continuously until it becomes a little thick. Keep it aside.
- Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Grease a baking dish with non stick oil spray or oil. Spread prepared tomato sauce with veggies evenly in the baking dish.
- Place lasagna sheets as a layer on top of the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle 4 tbsp of water, then spread creamy vegetable/white sauce with veggies over lasagna sheets.
- Add tomato sauce on top.
- now, sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese evenly. Sprinkle a few black, cut olives on cheese.
- Repeat steps 3-5, until sauces are over.
8. Finally sprinkle with 2/3 cup cheese, olives and mixed herbs.
9. Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and place it in the oven for 40 minutes.
10. Remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes at 400 F.
11. Now remove the baking dish from the oven and wait for 10 mins for it to set before serving.
- Any pasta or marinara sauce can be used.
- Paneer can be added along with cheese.
- You can use any veggies you prefer.
- If there are no lasagna noodles/sheets available, you may try using pasta(cooked) but may not be able to take it out for serving as a piece.
- You can adjust the cheese quantity as you prefer.
- You can reduce or omit the chilly powder in tomato sauce if making for kids..