This egg-free version Carbonara Pasta uses a combination of butter and starchy pasta cooking water to give the sauce body. It seems lots of spinach/palak but it wilts right into the pasta. Very easy recipe with very few ingredients. Most importantly, don’t be shy with the black pepper and crushed pepper: It adds a necessary dose of spice and heat.
More Italian Recipes:
How to make Vegetarian Carbonara
PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 15 MINS TOTAL TIME: 20 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE CUISINE: ITALIAN SERVINGS : 4
- spaghetti or linguini pasta – 1 lb pack
- oil – 3 tbsp.
- garlic – 1-2 tbsp.
- onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
- butter – 2 tbsp.
- spinach/palak – 5-6 cups chopped or 1 lb
- crushed red pepper / red-pepper flakes – 1 tsp (adjust)
- black pepper – 1 tsp/to taste
- cheese – 1 cup
- lemon juice
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente (cook 1 min less). Reserve 2 cups cooking water and drain the pasta.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and reserved cooking water to the pot and heat over low. Adding water helps the butter to coat pasta nicely and makes creamy.
- Add the butter, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid is absorbed and sauce is slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, season with salt, plenty of pepper and red-pepper flakes and stir until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in the Parmesan or mozzarella cheese and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with more cheese, salt and pepper, if desired. Serve hot.
- Don’t forget to reserve 2 cups of salted boiling pasta water.
- You may also use sun dried tomatoes.
- You can also add vegetables.