Millet Salad is colorful, healthy and delicious on its own as a complete meal or served as a side or appetizer. Millet makes this recipe gluten-free and vegan. This is a 30 min quick and healthy meal which can be served anytime of the day. Millet can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until ready to use. Here I used Little millet, but this recipe can be made with any type of millet. The credit goes to my friend Mohana for this healthy recipe. I learned this from her.
You can use it in place of couscous in recipes to make them gluten-free. Millet is an excellent whole grain to include on your diet like quinoa. It has a mild, slightly nutty taste and texture as well. Same process can be followed with quinoa also.
I cup dry millet yields about 3 1/2 cups cooked millet. Always soak millet at least for 4-6 hours. Millet can be cooked in 2 ways.
Stove top method for preparing 1 cup dry millet
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add the soaked millet, then cover and reduce the heat.
- Simmer until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Instant Pot method for preparing 1 cup dry millet
- Add the soaked millet and 1 3/4 cups water to the pot.
- Close the lid, and set it to the pressure cook mode for 10 minutes on high.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Transfer the cooked millets to a large salad bowl and allow it to cool.
How to make Millet Salad
PREP TIME: 10 MINS COOK TIME: 5 MIN TOTAL TIME: 20 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE / Salad CUISINE: INDIAN SERVINGS : 4-5
- cooked millet – around 3 cups ( 1 cup uncooked)
- green, red, yellow capsicum/bell peppers – 1/4th each, finely chopped
- peas – 1/4 cup
- onions – 1/2 small, finely chopped
- parsley – 2 tbsp
- lettuce – 1/4-1/2 cup
- mint leaves – 1-2 tbsp
- jalapeno peppers, fresh/pickled – 2 tbsp
- roasted peanuts – 2 tbsp
- pitted olives, black/green – 2 tbsp
- raisins – 2 tbsp
- oil – 1 tsp
- olive or peanut oil – 2-3 tbsp
- lemon juice – 1/2 lemon/to taste
- salt – to taste
- pepper – 1 tsp
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, add 1/2 sm chopped onion, saute them for 3 min. Then add cooked peas(can be microwaved for 2 mins to cook). Saute them 2 mins.
- Take the large salad bowl with cooked millet, add all the ingredients little by little as many veggies as you want to the millet bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice and add olive/peanut oil. Toss everything well to blend all the flavors nicely. Check the taste for salt and adjust.
- Serve chilled or serve immediately as a salad or side dish.
step by step photo instructions
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, add onions, saute them for 3 min. Then add cooked 1/4 cup peas(can be microwaved for 2 mins to cook). Saute them 2 mins.
2. Take the large salad bowl with cooked millet 3 cups, add salt, colored bell peppers 1/4 each, add jalapenos, olives, lettuce, parsley, mint leaves, peanuts, peppers little by little and as many veggies as you want to the millet bowl.
3. Squeeze lemon juice and add olive/peanut oil. Toss everything well to blend all the flavors nicely. Check the taste for salt and adjust.
4. Serve chilled or serve immediately as a salad or side dish.
- You can use any veggies you like or whatever is on hand. Adjust the quantity of the ingredients as you like.
- Can add nuts or seeds like pumpkin or sunflower seeds, walnuts….
- It is also good to use grapes, pomegranate seeds or craisins.
- If you do not have parsley, you can substitute with cilantro.
- Kodo, barn yard, bown top or foxtail any millets and quinoa could be used.