Horse gram water or ulavala kashayam is a wonderful gluten-free and vegan health drink to keep you full, provides super energy and heals your body as well. This kashayam drink aids in weight-loss and cleansing the body.
Horse gram is considered as a super food because of it’s high nutritional content as well as its fitness-promoting properties. Horse gram is very beneficial for various health conditions. This kashayam is made using horse gram powder, herbs and leafy greens, amla(gooseberry) powder and ginger.
How to take?
Drink this kashayam in the mornings before breakfast or as a breakfast. If you are doing the intermittent fasting, you can consume this drink after your fasting as a lunch substitute. Drink 2-3 times until the dinner time.
Horse gram may cause heat in your body, balance it by including moong dal in every 2-3 days or add butter milk in your diet.
Nutrition & uses
Horse gram is high in protein, calcium, iron, minerals, fiber and antioxidants.
Horse gram powder does wonders in treating various health issues such as asthma, bronchitis, urinary problems, jaundice, peptic ulcer, hemorrhoids and even menstrual problems. It is also beneficial for extracting phlegm, and controlling fever, controlling sugar levels, cholesterol levels and you can also apply the horse-gram paste topically to treat boils and rashes on the skin.
Horse gram – provides energy and high in protein and minerals.
Leafy greens – High in minerals, vitamins. You may use mint, basil, tulsi, thotakoora (tandaljo), gongura (sorrel leaves), siri koora, chukka koora, gangavalli, cilantro, moringa leaves (drumstick leaves), and curry leaves.
Tulsi – Keeps you away from virus & bacteria, fungal infections, colds, coughs and corona too :). Best immunity booster, water purifier. High in vitamin C and Zinc.
Mint – Filled with nutrients. Immunity booster, improves digestive health, reduces cold symptoms, improves brain function and relaxes the body by reducing stress.
Ginger – Anti inflammatory, prevents gas, digests food well and improves digestive health.
Amla(gooseberry) Powder – High in vitamin C, has anti-aging properties. Good for cancer, diabetes and brain functioning.
Lime/lemon – High in vitamin C, antioxidants. Has vast range of health benefits, aids in weight-loss too, and cleanses waste in the body.
More health drink recommendations for you:
- 2 Super Detox Power Smoothies
- 2 Detoxifying & Immunity Boosting Vegetable Juices
- Ash-gourd Juice | Wheat Grass Juice
- Lemon Turmeric Ginger Wellness Shots & Juice
- Kale Apple Celery Juice
Horsegram Water / Ulavala Kashayam
- 1½-2 tsp horse gram powder
- few sorrel leaves
- few mint leaves
- 2 inches ginger
- few stems cilantro
- ½ tsp amla powder
- ¼ tsp moringa leaves powder or few fresh moringa leaves
- 1 lime
- pinch saindhav pink salt optional
- 1 tsp honey optional
- Grind horse gram into a smooth powder. Store it in an airtight bottle or container.
- Wash and roughly chop all the greens.
- Peel the ginger and chop then crush it.
- In a sauce pan, add 3 big cups of water, add all the greens, ginger and amla powder.
- Simmer it on a smallest stove for about 20-30 minutes. Simmering preserves all the nutrition from the leaves.
- Cool the kashayam to warm temparature.
- When you are ready to drink, Strain the liquid and add lime juice. You may also add saindhav salt. If you like sweeter taste, add honey.Note: Do not add lime to hot liquid.
- Enjoy it as a morning drink or breakfast or take it as a lunch substitute (few times in a day).
- Use any leaves available.
- Use tulsi or basil leaves more to keep you away from bacteria and viruses. I don’t have them so used mint.
- Use tulsi and curry leaves more.
- Crushing ginger enhances the flavor and all the flavor will be well absorbed into the water.
- Using amla powder helps prevent aging.
- Do not add lime juice in hot kashayam.
- Using salt and honey are optional.
- Because of the heat horse gram generates, try to take moong dal at least once in 2-3 days or include butter milk or chia seeds in your diet.
Step by step photo instructions
- Grind horsegram into a smooth powder. Store it in an airtight bottle or container.
- Wash and roughly chop all the greens.
3. Peel the ginger and chop then crush it.
4. In a sauce pan, add 3 big cups of water, add all the greens, ginger and amla powder.
5. Simmer it on a smallest stove for about 20-30 minutes. Simmering preserves all the nutrition from the leaves.
6. Cool the kashayam to warm temparature.
7. When you are ready to drink, Strain the liquid and add lime juice. You may also add saindhav salt. If you like sweeter taste, add honey.
Note: Do not add lime or honey to hot liquid.
8. Enjoy it as a morning drink or breakfast or take it as a lunch substitute (few times in a day).