Basic Tofu bhurji is an Indian Style Tofu Scramble recipe that is delicious, easy to make, and a high-protein vegetarian dish which is Vegan, Gluten-free, and Keto Friendly dish.
Why I call it Basic Tofu Bhurji is, I am not adding any veggies like Paneer Bhurji here. This is a super quick and super easy curry you can make with a very few ingredients in under 15 minutes! The end result is a curry that’s packed with protein and flavor. Easy to make, fuss-free and ready in 10 minutes, great with roti, naan bread or your favorite bread. It’s so good!
Bhurji means scrambled in English. So, in this recipe, the simple scrambled tofu gets an Indian-style makeover with the addition of a few traditional spices.
I have used extra firm tofu in this bhurji recipe. Tofu is a Low carb or Keto-friendly protein source. Similarly, I make 2 types of paneer bhurji – 1st one is 10 min weightloss Paneer bhurji & a wrap and 2nd is paneer bhurji & frankie at home since Paneer is a good source of protein for vegetarians and is so delicious.
What is Tofu & Health Benefits
Tofu, also known as bean curd (soya paneer), is a food prepared by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into solid white blocks of varying softness; it can be silken, soft, firm, or extra firm (Source).
Tofu is an excellent source of protein; it is packed with calcium, selenium, manganese, iron, and magnesium. It is also known as ‘Soya Paneer’ and is prepared by curdling soy milk.
Tofu – Always ensure to use organic extra-firm tofu. Pressed for at least 20 minutes using a heavy object to remove excess moisture.
Spices: I have used dry red chillies, coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
Variations – try using different colour peppers, you’ll be surprised at how it can change your finished curried tofu scramble! You can also try adding spring onion, carrot, spinach – whatever you like really. Tofu is soft enough so that you don’t actually need to chop it up. Try crumbling it up with your hands to give it a nice texture.
Visit more Tofu and Paneer Recipes:
- Tik Tok Tortilla Wrap hack | 8 Filling Ideas
- How to prepare Paneer Bhuna Roll / Wrap
- Weight Loss Paneer Bhurji & 10 Min Paneer Bhurji Wrap
- Paneer Tikka
- Paneer Bhurji & Paneer Frankie
- Pudina Paneer Tikka
Please don’t forget to give a ★ rating and a comment below
Basic Tofu Bhurji | Curry Tofu Scramble
- 20 red chillies use 10 byadagi or kashmiri chillies for less heat
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
Tofu Bhurji Ingredients
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp oil (coconut or olive oil or mustard)
- ½ tsp black gram (urad dal)
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- few curry leaves
- 2 red chillies broken
- salt to taste
- Drain water from Tofu box, then wrap it in a thick cloth napkin lined with a paper towel. Keep aside for 20 minutes to drain the excess moisture.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, add red chillies (may use combination of regular hot chilllies and byadagi kind), coriander seeds, and cumin seeds.
- Roast the masala ingredients on low-heat until golden brown. Do not burn the spices.
- Transfer them into a blender and blend them to a fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Now unwrap the tofu, and crumble the tofu gently with your fingers and keep aside.
- Heat a wide pan with oil, add urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and red chilly.
- When the dal turns brown, add crumbled tofu into the pan.
- On low medium-heat, keep stirring the tofu frequently.
- Keep cooking the tofu until you see no moisture from the tofu on the pan.
- Now add desired amount of masala prepared, and salt. Cook on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Now the basic tofu scramble/burji is ready to serve with a roti or bread.
- For best results use extra firm or firm tofu.Texture of tofu bhurji will be exactly same as paneer bhurji.
- Use onions, tomatoes, bell peppers for variations and follow the recipe paneer bhurji. except paneer, use tofu.
- Make the masala double or triple quantities, and store in a glass bottle for future use. You can use this masala for any vegetable curry and gravy curries.
- If you have leftover bhurji, you can use as a filling for stuffed paratha, puff pastry, or a sandwich.
- You can also add shredded broccoli and some greens like spinach or kale.
- If you a Non-Vegan follow the same recipe and replace Tofu with Paneer (cottage cheese) or mix of both.
- Replace pav bhaji masala with garam masala to give it a twist.
- You can also sprinkle some sesame seeds to finish off and for added nutrition.
Step by step photo instructions
- Drain water from 14 oz (397gm) Tofu box, then wrap it in a thick cloth napkin lined with a paper towel. Apply gentle pressure or press with some heavy object. Keep aside for 20 minutes to drain the excess moisture.
Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, add 18-20 red chillies (may use combination of regular hot chilllies and byadagi kind), 1 tbsp coriander seeds, and 1.5 tsp cumin seeds.
Roast the masala ingredients on low-heat until golden brown. Do not burn the spices.
Transfer them into a blender and blend them to a fine powder. Keep it aside.
Now unwrap the tofu, and crumble the tofu gently with your fingers and keep aside.
Heat a wide pan with 1-2 tbsp oil, add 1/2 tsp urad dal, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, few curry leaves and 2 red chilles.
When the dal turns brown, add crumbled tofu into the pan.
On low medium-heat, keep stirring the tofu frequently.
Keep cooking the tofu until you see no moisture from the tofu on the pan.
Now add desired amount of masala prepared, and salt. Cook on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
Now the basic tofu scramble/burji is ready to serve with a roti or bread.
Hey, thanks for stopping by, make it a great day and make something yummy!!
Thanks for reading and subscribe to sirisblog.com (Siri’s Food Lab) to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.