Paneer Bhurji is a popular and delicious North Indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer(Indian cottage cheese). This is a very simple and satisfying vegetarian recipe and very rich in protein. The bhurji can be stuffed within a roti, or chapathi to prepare roll or paneer bhurji frankie or kati roll. This recipe taste great and everyone loves to have as a snack or breakfast or lunch or dinner. This flavorful dish is quick to make and ideal for nutritious breakfast.
paneer bhurji is often served and enjoyed with roti or chapathi.
The leftover bhurji can be sandwiched between 2 breads slices with some sliced tomatoes and onions. This can be an ideal breakfast recipe too.
What is Paneer Bhurji?
Bhurji means scrambled so this dish is basically scrambled paneer or cottage cheese. A perfectly savory, tangy, spiced mixture made of onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies (hot peppers) and various spices is then used to mix with the scrambled paneer.
This flavorful dish, as with most bhurji recipes, is quick to make and ideal for breakfast.
More Paneer Recipes:
- Paneer Tikka
- Aloo/Potato Paneer Frankie
- Palak/Spinach Paneer Paratha
- Methi/Fenugreek Paneer Rice
- Pudina Paneer Tikka
How to make Paneer Bhurji & Frankie
PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 5 MINS TOTAL TIME: 15 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE CUISINE: NORTH INDIAN SERVINGS : 3
- grated paneer – 2 cup
- grated carrot – 1/2 cup
- onion, finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- bell pepper/capsicum – 1/2 cup
- green chillies – 2
- turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- garam masala, cumin (jeera) powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, salt – 1/2 tsp each
- lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- oil or ghee – 2 tbsp
- ginger or ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté cumin seeds till they turn aromatic.
- Add onions, sauté well till the onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger paste and sauté till the raw smell goes.
- Now add grated carrot, capsicum. Mix and sauté 1 min.
- Add spices and cook 2 mins.
- Now add tomatoes and sauté till they turn soft and mushy.
- Add crumbled paneer / cottage cheese and mix gently.
- Mix gently without mashing out paneer.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes till the paneer gets cooked well. do not over cook paneer, as they turn hard and chewy.
- Add coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- Mix gently, making sure everything is combined well.
- Serve paneer bhurji hot with chapathi or paratha or roll in chapathi to make frankie.
Paneer Burji Frankie
- Use a premade chapathi or roll the wheat flour dough or multigrain dough into a circle.
- Heat a tawa and place roti/chapathi on it. Toast lightly.
- Apply green chutney on the chapathi, add a hint of tomato ketchup, place paneer bhurji on the center, sprinkle some chat masala and place capsicum strips on top.
- Fold the sides and lightly roast both sides applying little oil or ghee.
- Mix Green chutney with little greek yogurt or hung curds makes it more tastier and adds protein.
- Adjust the spices to your spice level.