Pappula Podi/Putnala Pappu Podi/Dhalia Powder/Roasted chana dal Powder – An easy, quick, delicious, healthy and versatile Andhra style (Rayalaseema) podi for upma, poha, uggani, uthappam, wheat dosa, idli, pulagam, semiya upma, rice rava upma, tomato bhat, chapathi, rice sevai, puffed rice(murmure), rekulu or just plain steamed rice and the list is endless. Pappula Podi or Putnala Podi is a recipe made with roasted chana dal or dhalia, dry coconut and red chilli powder.
Each family may have their own version of pappula podi. This is a basic Pappula Podi recipe. This is no onion and no garlic recipe, so that this is well suitable for festival days and upavas days also. We can make many variations with this basic version of Pappula Podi. When you are not able to make chutney or out of chutney for dosa, you can just mix pappula podi with some yogurt. Voila.. the instant chutney is ready to use. You can mix it with finely chopped onion and little oil, the instant curry for chapathi or jowar roti is ready!!
I am sharing the list of items and how to use with pictures below for easy understanding..
How to make Pappula Podi/Dhalia Powder
PREP TIME: 5 MINS TOTAL TIME: 5 MINS COURSE: SIDES/ACCOMPANIMENTS CUISINE: ANDHRA
- Dry coconut – ½ cup
- Pappulu/Putnalu/Dhalia/Roasted chana dal – 2 cups
- Red chilli powder – 3 tsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Blend dry coconut into powder.
- Add pappulu, red chilli powder and salt. Grind to a fine powder.
- Store it in an air tight container for 1 month or refrigerate it 3-4 months. It can also be frozen but thaw for a few minutes before using it.
- Serve with any upma, idli, wheat flour dosa, idli, uthappam, uggani, pulagam, chapathi, poori, rice sevai, rice rava upma,…
- Can be stored up to a month in an air tight container.
- Can reduce the quantity of pappulu to half if you like to taste more coconut.
- Make some extra and refrigerate it.
- Some people add garlic also, but with garlic is not suitable for fasting days.
step by step photo instructions
- Take 1/2 cup dry coconut in to mixie jar first. Grind.
2. Add 2 cups pappulu, 3 tsp red chilli powder and 1.5 tsp salt. Grind to a fine powder.
4. You can make extra podi and pack it in a zip lock bag and refrigerate it for few moths.