Is this a salad – a snack – a street food !!!??? Confused? This is a salad -type of snack, topped with raw onion, spices and puffed rice, giving a real delight to the taste buds with a crunchy, spicy, savory and tangy taste. It is nutritious, healthy and a good time pass snack. For all those chat lovers and calorie watchers… here’s a guilt free snack ..Best part is you can make it at home in just a few minutes. Lemon juice mixed with spices in the chaat gives nice spicy tanginess, makes you want for more.
How to make Tomato Slice Chaat
PREP TIME: 5 MINS TOTAL TIME: 7 MINS COURSE: SNACK/SALAD/SIDES CUISINE: INDIAN SERVINGS : 4
- small tomatoes – 6
- onion – apprx 1 cup – finely chopped
- cilantro – finely chopped
- green chillies – 4 – finely chopped
- roasted peanuts – 3 tbsp
- puffed rice/murmura
- garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- chat masala – 1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- bhel mix (optional)
- mixture or bhoondi (optional)
- lemon juice – few tbsp
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange them on a plate.
- Mix red chilli powder, chat masala, garam masala and salt in a cup.
- Sprinkle the mixed spices over the tomato slices well.
- Top the slices with onions and green chillies. You can omit green chillies, if you prefer.
- Sprinkle the bhel mix, bhoondi/mixture, puffed rice generously over the tomatoes.
- Next top off with roasted peanuts and cilantro.
- Lastly sprinkle some lemon juice all over and serve immediately as the puffed rice may turn soft.
- Since puffed rice has a tendency to soften when exposed to moisture, I suggest you make this chaat only when you are ready to serve.
- You can adjust the quantity of ingredients according to your taste. You can use bhel puri mix (spiced puffed rice) instead of the plain puffed rice.
Step by step photo instructions
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange them in a plate.
2. Mix 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp chat masala, 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/2 tsp salt in a cup.
3. Sprinkle the mixed spices over the tomato slices well.
4. Top the slices with chopped onions and green chillies. You can omit green chillies, if you prefer.
5. Sprinkle the bhel mix, bhoondi/mixture, puffed rice generously over the tomatoes.
6. Next top off with roasted peanuts and cilantro.
7. Lastly sprinkle some lemon juice all over and serve immediately as the puffed rice may turn soft.