Today I’m blogging a very very simple, wholesome, healthy tiffin recipe. Good menu option for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner as it makes a complete meal by itself. This upma is made from coarsely ground rice, rice rava (biyyam rava).
If you need to prepare breakfast/dinner in less than 30 minutes and don’t have any veggies in your refrigerator, don’t worry. Rice rava upma is prepared without veggies. All you need is salt, few green chillies, water and rice rava for this yummy recipe.
Enjoy this simple upma with pappula podi, any pickle/pachadi of your choice or dal. Actually this upma tastes awesome with hot dal. This upma tastes good hot and tastier after it cools down.
If you get ready made rice rava, you can use it directly or you can make it at home with this easy process.
To prepare rice rava: Soak 4 to 5 cups of rice for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and dry on a cotton cloth or towel until dry. Grind coarsely like Rava, Sieve and remove rice powder. Once the rava is completely dry, store it in an air tight container.
How to make Rice Rava/Biyyam Nooka/Rava Upma
PREP TIME: 1 MIN COOK TIME: 20 – 25 MINS TOTAL TIME: 25 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE CUISINE: ANDHRA SERVINGS : 3
- rice rava – 2 cups
- water – 4 cups
- green chillies, chopped – 3
- salt – 1.5 tsp
- oil – 5 tbsp
- lemon juice – 2 tsp (optional)
- mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- chana dal – 1 tsp
- jeera – 1 tsp
- curry leaves
- Take a deep pan or vessel, heat it with 2 tbsp of oil first, add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves. Once the dals change into golden in color and mustard seeds sputter, add green chillies.
- Add 4 cups water, and 1.5 tsp salt. Add lemon juice. Mix. Let it boil.
- When the water starts boiling, reduce heat, pour rava with one hand, and mix with another hand. Mix everything well. Close the lid and let it cook on medium low flame.
- After 2 mins, open the lid and mix rava very well add remaining 3 tb sp oil from the sides. Again close and cook for 10 mins.
- Give a good mix once again, then cover and cook for 10 more mins.
- Turn off. Serve.
step by step photo instructions
- Take a deep pan or vessel, heat it with 2 tbsp of oil first, add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves. Once the dals change into golden in color, and mustard seeds sputter, add green chillies.
2. Add 4 cups water, lemon juice and salt. Mix. Let it boil.
3. When the water starts boiling, reduce heat, pour rava with one hand, and mix with another hand. Mix everything well. Close the lid and let it cook on medium low flame.
4. After 2 mins, open the lid and mix rava very well add remaining 3 tb sp oil from the sides. Again close and cook for 10 mins.
5. Give a good mix once again, then cover and cook for 10 more mins.
6. Turn off. Serve Rice Rava Upma hot with dal and tamarind gujju or pappula podi and pickle. Tamarind/chinthakaya gujju also tastes very good with this upma.
- When making this upma, you may find roast (maadu) at the bottom of the pan/vessel. Don’t throw it away. It tastes awesome.
- Cook for few more minutes to get even crispier and red roast on the bottom.
- If you are thinking of making roast, it will decrease the quantity of upma. So you may have to take 3 cups instead of 2 cups.
- Always take 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rava (1 measure rava with 2 measures of water)
- If you are making this upma for dinner, keep the leftovers just on the counter top, don’t refrigerate, and consume it on the next day.
- You may refrigerate the left overs and reheat when you want to eat. It will be good refrigerated for a few days.
[…] Mixed greens dal is a no onion, no garlic, healthy and delicious side dish to enjoy with roti, chapati or rice. It is a quick and easy side dish prepared with toor dal, mixed leafy greens like spinach, amaranth, chukkakura (sorrel leaves or khatta spinach), tomato and raw mango.. cooked together and seasoned. A healthy and nutrition rich dish tastes great as a side dish for any Indian flat breads like masala jowar roti, buttermilk poori, bottle gourd roti, mint paratha, green onion paratha and steamed hot rice and rice rava upma. […]
[…] with rice, idli, dosa, upma, yogurt, Uggani, poha upma, rice rava upma, wheat flour dosa, pumpkin […]
[…] This recipe uses fresh tamarind right from the tree. This is a great combination with rice, upma, rice rava upma, […]
[…] with hot rice and a dollop of melted ghee and can also relished by spreading inside dosa, upma, rice rava upma, chapathi or jowar roti too. This is one of the ways of making gongura pachadi at our home and the […]
[…] with this aromatic dal. Serve Garlic dal with hot steamed rice with ghee, roti, chapathi, poori, rice rava upma and jowar/millet roti. your kitchen will be filled with nice aroma while you are cooking this […]