Pappula Podi/Putnala Pappu Podi/Dhalia Powder/Roasted chana dal Powder – An easy, quick, delicious, healthy and versatile Andhra style (Rayalaseema) podi for upma, poha, uggani, uthappam, dosa, idli, pulagam, semiya upma, rice rava upma, tomato bhat or rice and the list is endless. Pappula Podi or Putnala Podi is a recipe made with roasted chana dal or dhalia, dry coconut and red chilli powder.
Each family may have their own version of pappula podi. This is a basic Pappula Podi recipe. This is no onion and no garlic recipe, so that this is well suitable for upavas days also. We can make many variations with this basic version of Pappula Podi. When you are not able to make chutney, you can just mix pappula podi with some yogurt. Voila.. the instant chutney is ready to use.
How to make Pappula Podi/Dhalia Powder
PREP TIME: 2 MINS TOTAL TIME: 7 MINS COURSE: SIDES/ACCOMPANIMENTS CUISINE: ANDHRA
- Dry coconut – ½ cup
- Pappulu/Putnalu/Dhalia/Roasted chana dal – 2 cups
- Red chilli powder – 3 tsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Place dry coconut in to mixie jar first. Grind.
- Add pappulu, red chilli powder and salt. Grind to a fine powder.
- Store it in an air tight container and serve with upma, idli, dosa, uthappam, uggani…
step by step photo instructions
- Take 1/2 cup dry coconut in to mixie jar first. Grind.
2. Add 2 cups pappulu, 3 tsp red chilli powder and 1.5 tsp salt. Grind to a fine powder.
3. Store it in an air tight container and serve with upma, idli, dosa, uthappam, uggani…
- Can be stored up to a month in an air tight container.
- Can reduce the quantity of pappulu to half if you like to taste more coconut.
- Make some extra and refrigerate it.
- Some people add garlic also, but with garlic is not suitable for fasting days.