This ultra-flavorful and satisfying Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is a hearty salad thats loaded with quinoa, black beans, tomatoes and feta. Everything gets tossed in a healthy balsamic based salad dressing that makes this cold salad so irresistible. It’s one of those few salads that you should dress a few hours before and refrigerate to let the flavors mingle together. Healthy, gluten free and just plain delicious!
This quinoa salad recipe is packed with nutrition. It’s super easy to make and tastes incredible! Whether you already love quinoa or don’t cook it often, this will become your new go-to salad.
This allergy-friendly quinoa salad is great for everyone! This is also great for meal prepping. If quinoa is ready or if you have some leftover quinoa, you just need to toss it with veggies.
This quinoa salad is gluten-free, nut-free. It makes a great healthy lunch, dinner, or side dish to any meal. You can easily make it vegan by omitting the cheese. Also great for picnics, road trips and plane rides. Bring this allergy-friendly salad along to your next potluck—for all to enjoy.
This quinoa salad is best the day it is made, but the leftovers are good at least 3 days.
How to Cook Quinoa
Don’t be afraid of cooking quinoa, it is super easy to make. I love using quinoa because it is healthy, hearty, and a good source of protein. You can keep cooked quinoa in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Here are my tips for cooking perfect quinoa every single time!
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water. Rinsing removes quinoa’s natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste soapy or bitter. Drain.
- For one cup of quinoa, you need 2 cups of water or broth. Cooking the quinoa in broth will add more flavor, but water is fine too.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water or broth and rinsed quinoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes (or) you can just cook it on medium heat for 20 minutes/until all the fluid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Serve!
Always remember, change of vegetables always change the taste. But the possibilities are endless.
- You may mix and match with other vegetables like corn, carrot, green onions, colored bell peppers, spinach and avocado. But the taste may vary with the ingredients you add.
- If you want to meal prep the salad in advance, you can toss everything together except the avocado and the dressing. Add the avocado and dressing when ready to eat and the salad will be super fresh!
- Adding sun flower seeds and pumpkin seeds, dry fruits or fresh fruits also a good option.
- You may avoid cheese at all or replace feta cheese with grated mozzarella cheese.
More Salad Recipes for you
- Quick & Easy Pasta Salad in 20 Minutes
- Sweet Corn & Tomato Relish | Corn Salad
- Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad)
- 5 Minute Sprouts Salad | Moong Bean Sprouts w/o salt | Pesalu
- Tomato Cucumber Salad | 5 Min Salad
- Cantaloupe Salad with Mint
- Strawberry Quinoa Spinach Salad
- Millet Salad
- Moong Dal Salad |Pesara Pappu Salad |Kosambari
- Chana | Chick pea Salad
Healthy Quinoa Salad
- 1 sauce pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
For salad dressing
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp oregano dried
- ½ tsp basil dried
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper ground
For the Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup bell pepper diced
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- ¼ cup onion diced
- ¼ cup black beans cooked
- ¼ cup fresh basil or cilantro torn
- ¼ cup olives
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup feta cheese more for sprinkling
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a small bowl and whisk or mix well till combined. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add quinoa, black beans, bell peppers, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, feta and basil.
- Drizzle the dressing all over and toss well. Taste and adjust the salt. Sprinkle more crumbled feta on top(optional), Cover with a plastic wrap or plate and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve as a lunch or dinner, even for a snack or side to any meal.
- You may add cooked or boiled chick peas or any beans.
- If feta not available, use grated mozzarella cheese. Tastes good even without any cheese.
- Mix and match with other ingredients other veggies and nuts & seeds for variations.
- You may use black or green olives.
- You can increase the black beans quantity, to your taste.
Step by step photo instructions
- Rinse quinoa 2-3 times, then add 2 cups water and cook on medium flame for 20 minutes. keep it aside to cool.
2. Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a small bowl and whisk or mix well till combined. Keep it aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, add quinoa, black beans, bell peppers, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, feta and basil.
4. Drizzle the dressing all over and toss well.
5. Taste and adjust the salt. Sprinkle more crumbled feta on top(optional), Cover with a plastic wrap or plate and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Serve as a lunch or dinner, even for a snack or side to any meal.
Did you try this recipe?
Leave a comment and let me know how it turned out. Or, take a picture to share on Instagram and tag me @sirisfoodlab
Hey, thanks for stopping by, make it a great day and make something yummy!!
Thanks for reading and subscribe to sirisblog.com (Siri’s Food Lab) to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.