Pappu Bhaksham – is made with spicy regular dal which we eat with rice. This savory poli is similar to sweet puran poli, but instead of sweet puran we use spicy dal as stuffing. Pappu Bhaksham can be served as breakfast, lunch, dinner or even as a snack. These can be made faster than the chapathi. You just need to plan a little ahead with the dough.
You may also like sweet Puran Poli.
How to make Pappu Bhakshalu
PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 30 MINS SOAK TIME: 4-6 HRS TOTAL TIME: MIN 45 MINS (EXCLUDES SOAKING TIME) COURSE: BREAKFAST/LUNCH/DINNER CUISINE: INDIAN MAKES: 8
- For Dough:
- chiroti rava / semolina – 1 cup
- salt – pinch
- oil – 2 tsp
- water – 1/2 cup
- For Stuffing:
- toor dal/kandi pappu – 1 cup
- onions – chopped – 3/4 cup
- tandaloo/thotakoora or koyagoora – 2 cups
- salt – 1.5 tsp
- red chilly powder – 1.5 tsp
- turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind pulp/juice – 2 tsp
- water – 1.75-2 cups
- wheat flour – 1-2 tbsp (use more if needed)
- Mix semolina, salt and oil with 1/2 cup water, mix well and make a soft dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth and set aside for 4-5 hrs.
- In a pressure cooker or hawkins cooker, add dal and rinse the dal.
- Add water.
- Add onions, tandaloo/thotakoora(if not available use spinach), salt, red chilly powder, turmeric and tamarind paste.
- Close the lid and cook till 5 whishtles.
- Once the dal is cooked, press it and add wheat flour. Mix well and make lemon sized balls with dal.
- Take a bhaksham paper or butter paper, add 1 tsp oil, take a piece of dough, spread it to 2-3″ diameter.
- Place the stuffing in the middle and close with edges like dumpling.
- Pour 1 tsp oil on the dumpling.
- Place the plastic sheet on top.
- Apply little pressure and spread it as thin as you want.
- Remove the plastic sheet and sprinkle 1-2 tsp oil.
- Place the paper upside down on the heated pan. Cook both sides.
- Serve as is or with mango pickle.
Step by step photo instructions
[…] You can also use the leftover dough from Bhakshyalu/Poli, Coconut Bhaksham, Pappu Bhaksham/Dal Poli and Thella […]
[…] may also like Savory Bhaksham / Dal Poli and Thella Oligalu/White […]