Arbi/Chamagadda Masala is an easy and flavorful side dish made with Boiled Arbi together with simple spices, makes an yummy side dish for rice, poori, chapathi. This starchy root veggie can be cooked as a fry, masala or a pulusu/stew. Arbi is shallow fried instead of deep frying in this curry. This is a dry preparation.
Process of making Arbi/Chamagadda Masala
PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 25 MINS TOTAL TIME: 30 MINS COURSE: SIDES CUISINE:INDIAN SERVINGS : 4
- Arbi – 12, medium
- Ginger – 1”, grated or ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 4 cloves, grated
- Green chillies – 4-5, chopped
- Tomato paste/puree – 4 tsp
- Onion – 1 big, chopped to ½” pieces
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Pressure cook the arbi for 1 whistle. Cool, and remove the skin. Cut them into slices.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry them till golden brown both sides. Keep them aside.
- Add the remaining oil and temper with cumin seeds.
- Add onion and green chillies, grated ginger and garlic/ginger garlic paste and sauté them till light brown.
- Now add the tomato puree and sauté for a minute. Add the fried arbi, salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
- Continue to saute for 2-3 mins. Do not add any water. It is a dry preparation.
- When done, garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a side with rice and dal.
step by step photo instructions
- Pressure cook the 10-12 arbi for 1 whistle. Cool, and remove the skin. Slice them as shown below.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry them till golden brown both sides. Add a few teaspoons of oil if needed. Keep them aside.
3. Add the remaining 2 tbsp oil and temper with ½ tsp cumin seeds. Add 1 big chopped onion and 5 chopped green chillies, 1 tsp grated ginger and garlic/ginger garlic paste and sauté them till light brown.
4. Now add the 4 tsp tomato puree and sauté for a minute. Add ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp garam masala powder. Mix well and add fried arbi.
5. Continue to saute for 2-3 mins. Do not add any water. It is a dry preparation.
6. When done, garnish with coriander leaves.
- Boiled and cubed yam can also be cooked the same way.