Brinjal curry with step by step pics. This is a very simple Brinjal curry that can be done in just under 30 minutes with very few ingredients. Any novice in cooking can make this.
To make this Brinjal curry, use smaller variety of brinjals. This curry needs very less oil and spices.
Serve Brinjal curry as a side dish with rice or roti.
You may also like:
AUTHOR: Sirisha PREP TIME: 10 MINS COOK TIME: 15 – 20 MINS TOTAL TIME: 30 MINS SERVINGS: 4
- Brinjals – 15
- Water – as required to soak brinjal pieces
- Black pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Jeera (cumin) – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Hing – a pinch
- Take brinjals, wash them and cut them lengthwise. Immediately put them in water.
- Take a pan with oil, heat the oil. Then add mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves, black pepper, hing, and turmeric.
- when the mustard seeds sputter, add brinjals without water. Give it a good mix. Fry them for 5 minutes, mixing in between.
- Fry them until the brinjal trurns soft. Add oil if it feels dry.
- After the brinjals cooked or turn soft, check the taste for salt and spiciness. Adjust them accordingly.
- Take it into a serving bowl.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rice or roti.
Step by step photos
- Take around 15 brinjals, wash and cut them lengthwise pieces. Put the chopped brinjal pieces in a bowl of water, so that the brinjal will not change the color.
2. Take a pan with 2 tbsp oil, heat the oil. Then add 1/2 tsp of Jeera or Cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, few curry leaves, little hing, 2 tsp black pepper powder and 1/4 tsp turmeric.
3. Once the mustard seeds sputter, add brinjal pieces without water and give a good mix.
4. Add salt and fry for for 5 mins. keep mixing at least once every minute. Add a 1 or 2 sps of oil if it feels dry. keep frying then until brinjal turns soft and cooked. check the taste for salt and spiciness, add salt and more pepper if needed.
5. Once the brinjal pieces turn soft, transfer the curry into a serving bowl.
6. Serve hot as side dish with rice or roti.