Cucumber(keera) raita with detailed step wise photos. Cucumber raita | dosakaya perugu pachadi is one of the most popular perugu pachadi recipes in south India. This recipe is one of the coolest and healthiest recipes. Raita is a yogurt based condiment that can be served as a dip, salad, curry. Cucumber perugu pachadi can be served as an accompaniment to pulavs or biryanis, rotis, chapathis, theplas, pooris, and rice.
This cool salad recipe is very easy to make if you have no time to cook and If you don’t have any veggies on hand, you can make this within 10 minutes. This type of raita can be done with most veggies you can ever think of eg., anapakai | sorakaya | lauki, snake gourd, carrot, tomato…
Cucumber Raita – Perugu Pachadi
PREP TIME:8 MINS COOK TIME:3 MINS TOTAL TIME:11 MINS COURSE:SIDE DISH CUISINE:SOUTH INDIAN SERVINGS: 4
- Cucumber(green) – 1 large, chopped fine or 2 cups chopped
- Yogurt – 1 to 2 cups
- salt – as needed
- Green chili, coconut paste – 1 tsp (green chilli – 2 to 4 (as per your spiceness), coconut – 2 tbsp) or green kobbera karam
- mustard powder – 1/2 tsp
- dhalia powder | pappula podi | roasted chanadal powder – 2 tsp
- oil – 3 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds | jeera – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – few
- red chilli – 1
- hing – pinch (optional)
Method for making Raita – Perugu Pachadi
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups of chopped or grated cucumber (Keera).
- Make a coarse paste of 4 green chillies and 2 tbsp of grated coconut or use green kobbera karam.
- Add the mustard powder and green chilli coconut paste, salt.
- Add pappula podi.
- Add yougurt and mix everything. Adjust salt and green chillies paste to your taste.
- Take a small pan with oil, add urad dal, mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves, red chilli, hing. When mustard seeds sputtering and urad dal turns golden turn off.
- Add the tempering to raita we made.
- Serve with roti, theplas, rice, chapathi, pulav or biryanis.
Preparation in step by step photos
- Firstly remove the center part of the cucumber (with seeds) separately. In a bowl, take 2 cups of chopped cucumber (Keera).
2. Add green chilli coconut paste by grind 5 green chillies and 2 tbsp coconut, salt or green kobbera karam, next 1-2 cups yogurt. Mix well. Now add 1/2 tsp mustard powder and 1 – 2 tsp pappula podi (grind dhalia into fine powder).
3. Mix everything, add more yogurt or curd if needed. Mix well and check the taste. Make tempering by heating 3 tsp of oil in a small pan, add urad dal, mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves, red chilli and hing. Add this to raita.
5. Serve with thelpla, chapathi, roti or rice..