cauliflower fried rice | gobi rice recipe | gobi manchurian rice is a popular street food. Gobi rice recipe with detailed photos. An indo chinese recipe prepared by mixing cauliflower florets with spices then fry in oil and combined with cooked basmati rice and sauces. This is basically 2 recipes combined.
These fried cauliflower florets can be used for gobi manchurian with a slight procedure change.
To make the rice even healthier way, I haven’t deep fried florets in oil, I just stir fried in very little oil, yet got crispy golden gobi florets. Air fryer can also be used to fry florets to cut back on oil.
How to make Cauliflower rice
PREP TIME: 10 MINS COOK TIME:20 MINS TOTAL TIME: 30 MINS COURSE: RICE CUISINE: INDO-CHINESE SERVINGS : 4-5
- For batter
- Maida/all purpose flour – 1/3 cup
- corn flour – 2 tbsp
- red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- water – 1/2 cup
- tomato ketchup – a squirt (optional)
- hot chilli sauce(sriracha) – a squirt (optional)
- For rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 chillis, slit
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp spring onion, chopped
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, peas)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3-4 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 sp salt or as needed
- First cook basmati rice.
- Cut cauliflower/gobi into florets. Keep aside.
- Preparing Batter:
- Now prepare the batter by taking 1/3 cup maida, 2 tbsp corn flour, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Add 1/2 cup water and mix to smooth lump free batter.
- Add cauliflower florets to batter. Mix gently to coat the batter to florets well.
- In a pan, take a little oil (not for deep fry), shallow fry these coated florets till they turn to golden in color and crisp. Keep aside on a paper towel. or you can use air fryer to fry florets.
- Preparing Rice:
- In a big pan take 2 tbsp oil and saute 3 clove garlic, 2 chillis.
- Add onion and spring onion. saute on high flame.
- Further add carrot, beans and capsicum. stir fry. Don’t over cook.
- Add red chilli powder, salt. Mix well.
- Then make a gap in the centre and add 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Stir fry on high flame.
- Further add cooked rice, pepper and salt and mix gently.
- Add fried cauliflower florets to the rice or serve cauliflower florets on top of rice.
- Garnish with spring onion. Enjoy hot cauliflower rice.
Step by step photo instructions
- Cook Basmati rice and cut cauliflower/gobi into florets and keep them aside.
- Now prepare the batter by taking 1/3 cup maida, 2 tbsp corn flour, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste, a squirt of ketchup and hot sauce, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add 1/3 cup water and mix to smooth lump free batter.
3. Add gobi florets to batter. Mix gently. In a pan, take a few tbsps of oil (not for deep fry), shallow fry/deep fry/air fry these coated florets till they turn to golden in color and crisp. Keep aside on a paper towel.
4. In a big pan take 2 tbsp oil and saute 3 clove garlic, 2 chillis.Add onion and spring onion. saute on high flame.Further add carrot, beans and capsicum. stir fry. Don’t over cook.
5. Make a gap in the centre and add 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp soy sauce.Stir fry on high flame.
6. Further add cooked rice, red chilli powder, pepper and salt and mix gently. Cook rice for 2 mins.
7. Garnish with fried cauliflower florets and spring onion. Serve hot cauliflower rice with papad or raita.
- Can place cauliflower florets in hot water for 10 mins. Then use in cooking.
- Prepare rice just before serving, as fried cauliflower turns soggy.
- Add vegetables of your choice to make this rice nutritious and tasty. Can use readily available mixed vegetables if you like.
- You can deep fry cauliflower florets.
- Adjust the masalas as per your spice level.
- You can skip adding red chilli powder in rice if you want less heat.