I am posting an easy, gluten free and one pot recipe today. There are many ways to make Majjiga Pulusu. Our Andhra style khadi, a pale yellow colored stew is made with combination of veggeies like okra, brinjals, bottle gourd, onion, carrot, potato,… We use sour curds and chickpea or besan flour to make this recipe. You can have this as soup or side dish. This delicious stew is good with rice, roti, poori, chapathi, and jowar roti.
I am giving approximate measures to this recipe. You can adjust as per your choice of veggies available on hand and according to your taste.
How to make Majjiga Pulusu
PREP TIME:15MINS COOK TIME:20 MINS TOTAL TIME:30-40 MINS COURSE:SAMBAR/STEWS/PULUSU CUISINE:ANDHRA SERVINGS : 5
You can adjust all of the ingredients as per your taste and availability. You can adjust the quantity of the veggies too.
- Okra/bhendi – 13
- Brinjals – 4
- Onion – 1/2 sm
- Potato – 1 md
- Carrot – 1
- Bottle gourd – 1/4, cut into cubes
- Buttermilk(thick) – 3 cups
- Besan|chickpea flour – 4 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 and 1/2 tsp or according to your taste
- Water – 2 cups
- Green chilli paste – 1 tsp (can add coconut while grinding)
- Oil – 4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them pop, add the cumin seeds, curry leaves. Add the onions and saute for 4 mts, now add the vegetables and green chilli paste. Add some water and cook veggies until they get cooked or soft. (We can cook the veggies in cooker, just 1 whistle).
- While veggies are cooking we make thick buttermilk with curd and add besan. Mix both besan and buttermilk very well without any lumps.
- Add turmeric and salt to cooked veggies. Then add prepared buttermilk and water to veggies, then Boil. Check the taste for salt and spiciness, add if needed. If the stew is too thick add more water. If we don’t add enough besan, buttermilk breaks(curdles) while boiling.
- Boil till it comes to rolling boil.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice or Jonna Rotte/Jowar Roti or thappilent or thapal roti or chapathi or poori.
Majjiga Pulusu – Step by step photo instructions
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan, add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and let them pop, add the 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, few curry leaves. Add the sliced onions and saute for 4 mts, now add the vegetables and 1 tsp green chilli paste. Add some water and cook veggies until they get cooked or soft. (We can cook the veggies in cooker, just 1 whistle).
2. While veggies are cooking we make 3 cups thick buttermilk with curd and add 4 tsp besan. Mix both besan and buttermilk very well to make sure there are no lumps.
3. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt to cooked veggies. Then add prepared buttermilk and water to veggies, then Boil. Check the taste for salt and spiciness, add if needed. If the stew is too thick add more water. If we don’t add enough besan, buttermilk breaks(curdles) while boiling.
4. Boil till it comes to rolling boil.
5. Garnish with cilantro.
6. Serve hot with rice, chapathi, poori, thapal roti or jowar roti.
- It can be had separately as a side dish as shown in the picture or or make roti into small pieces and soak them in majjiga pulusu, then eat.
- If you see buttermilk curdles, add little more besan mixed in water.
- We can serve majjiga pulusu as soup.
- You can add more or less veggies depends on your preference. You can use other veggies like goru chikkudu (guvar beans), chikkudu kaya or broad beans, tomato.
- If you are not in the mood of making green chilli paste, you can add slit green chillies. But if you like it spicy, it is a good idea to add paste.
- You can adjust chilli paste as per your taste.
[…] Serve hot with dal and any vegetable curry or sambar or majjiga pulusu or eggplant raita or cucumber […]