Paal Payasam – Is a simple yet tasty South Indian payasam prasadam made with milk and rice. This is one of the traditional recipe made during festivals. Paal Payasam is a rich rice and creamy sweet/pudding made by simmering rice in milk and sugar slowly until it achieves a creamy-like consistency. This recipe of the pal payasam or the kheer is very easy to prepare in just a few steps, making it easy for working women who have less time to prepare..
Other prasadam recipes you may like:
- Sweet Coconut Powder Prashad|Sweet Kobbari Podi Prasadam
- ThriMadhuram Prasadam
- Prasadam Nuvvula Pulihora/Prasadam Puliodarai
- Bhakshalu/Puran Poli/Holige/Oliga
How to make Paal Payasam
SOAK TIME: 1 HR COOK TIME: 30 MINS TOTAL TIME: 30 MINS COURSE: DESSERTS/SWEETS CUISINE: SOUTH INDIAN SERVINGS : 3-4
- rice – 1/4 cup
- milk – 1.5 cups (adjust, may take more)
- water – 1/2 – 1 cup (adjust)
- sugar – 1/4 cup
- cardamom/elaichi – pinch
- dry fruits – few
- fresh coconut pieces – few (optional)
- ghee – 1 tsp
- Rinse and soak rice for 1 hr. This step helps the rice to cook faster.
- Boil milk, add water and soaked rice.
- Cook rice in milk on med low flame to prevent burning. Stir occasionally. Cook until the kheer turns creamy.
- Adjust milk and water to adjust the consistency.
- Cook rice until rice becomes soft and cooked.
- Add sugar, cardamom. Cook 3 more mins until the sugar dissolved completely.
- Heat a pan with ghee, add dry fruits and roast them till golden.
- Pour the roasted dry fruits over kheer and mix well.
- Soaking the rice helps to cook rice faster.
- The kheer should not be made too thick as it thickens once cooled.
- Boil the milk on medium low flame to prevent from burning.
- Adjust water and milk as needed.
Step by step photo instructions
- Rinse and soak 1/4 cup rice for 1 hr. This step helps the rice to cook faster.
- Boil 1 cup milk, add 1//2 cup water and soaked rice.
3. Cook rice in milk on medium low flame to prevent burning. Stir occasionally. Cook until the kheer turns creamy.
4. Adjust milk and water to adjust the consistency.
5. Cook rice until rice becomes soft and cooked.
6. Add 1/4 cup sugar, pinch of cardamom. Cook 3 more mins until the sugar dissolved completely.
7. Heat a pan with 1 tsp ghee, add dry fruits and coconut pieces, roast them till golden.
8. Pour the roasted dry fruits over kheer and mix well.