This is a 2 in 1 simple and easy one pot method to make garlic dal and sambar with very few ingredients. Good for occasions when you are short on time and no veggies on hand. Garlic Dal is unique and very quick and easy to prepare compared to other traditional dal recipes. I learned this from my mom. This is our favorite dal in our family. This dal has awesome flavor, your taste buds will be very satisfied with this aromatic dal. Serve Garlic dal with hot steamed rice with ghee, roti, chapathi, poori, rice rava upma and jowar/millet roti. your kitchen will be filled with nice aroma while you are cooking this dal.
Dals/Lentils are loaded with proteins plus they satisfy a major part of the protein serving in a meal. You just need basic spices and garlic. Thats it… all of them are cooked together with the dal… Easy… Isn’t it?
Basically, in this recipe, i have not added any veggies, not even onions and tomatoes. And also this dal should not be seasoned. Dal/lentils are pressure cooked, which is followed by mashing it to a smooth paste and a hint of ghee makes it more aromatic. As a matter of fact, This is a 2 in 1 recipe. We can also make sambar out of this dal.
Step by step photo instructions
- Rinse 3/4 cup toor dal twice and soak for 30 mins.
2. Add this dal to pressure cooker, add a minimum of 2 cups of water.
3. Add 1 tsp red chilly powder, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp tamarind, 1/4 tsp turmeric and 12 big (or 20 small) peeled garlic pods to dal.
4. Pressure cook on medium high for 3-4 whistles. (If the dal is not soaked, cook till 5-6 whistles).
5. When the pressure leaves, mash cooked dal.
6. Add 1-2 tsp ghee and mix. This dal should be a little thick.
8. Sambar: Mix dal from step 6, and add water to make sambar till you get desired consistency. Boil dal mixed with water, until it reaches rolling boil.
9. Serve with plain rice or rice rava upma.
How to make Garlic Dal/Elipaya Pappu
PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 15 MINS TOTAL TIME: 20 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE CUISINE: SOUTH INDIAN SERVINGS : 4-5
1 cup = 235 ml
- toor dal/split pigeon pea lentils/kandi pappu – 3/4 cup
- garlic / vellullipayalu – 12 big / 20 small
- red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- salt – 1 tsp
- turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind – 2 tsp
- ghee – 1-2 tsp
- Rinse toor dal twice and soak for 30 mins.
- Add this dal to pressure cooker, add minimum 2 cups water.
- Add red chilly powder, salt, tamarind, turmeric, peeled garlics and salt to dal.
- Pressure cook on medium high for 3-4 whistles.
- When the pressure leaves, mash cooked dal.
- Add 2 tsp ghee and mix.
- Dal is ready to serve. This dal should be a little thick.
- Serve with hot rice with ghee, chapathi, roti, poori, rice rava upma and jowar/millet roti.
- Sambar: Mix dal from step 6, and add water to make sambar till you get desired consistency.
- Boil dal mixed with water, until it reaches rolling boil.
- Serve with rice or rice rava upma.
- No need to add any seasoning to this dal.
- If dal is not soaked, cook till 5-6 whistles.
- You can add tamarind pulp instead of tamarind.
- You can also make this dal in Instant pot.
- If the dal is too thick, you may add a little water and boil 2-3 mins again. If the dal is too watery, boil the dal few more mins till it gets a little thick.
Pressure Cooker: https://amzn.to/3n73Pnc