This is an authentic Mexican Rice recipe from Mexican friend of mine. This flavorful red rice is a one pot meal and very easy and simple to make in just 20 mins. This recipe mainly depends on browning the rice and using the key ingredients, cumin powder and pepper, that gives it the authentic Mexican flavor. You can sense the nice Mexican food aroma all over the house while cooking. You can use this rice as a side with any Mexican dishes. It goes well with beans, wraps, enchiladas, chimmichagas, Mexican bowl and even with plain tortillas.
My other Mexican dishes that you may be interested in ..
Mexican Rice video recipe:
Mexican Rice – step by step photo instructions
- Heat a pan with 3 tbsp oil, add chopped 1/2 cup chopped onions and 2 tsp minced garlic. Saute for about 2 mins.
2. Add 2 cups long grain or rice, saute the rice until it turns little brown. This helps the rice not to stick the grains each other.
3. Add 2 tbsp cilantro, 2/3 cup each green and red capsicum, 2/3 cup tomato sauce/puree (canned or fresh), 2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp oil, 2 tsp roasted cumin/jeera powder (key ingredient, don’t skip this) and 1 tsp pepper. Mix everything well.
4. Add 4 cups of water. Cover and bring to boil.
5. Then cover and simmer for 18-20 mins or until all the liquid is completely absorbed. Wait for 5-10 mins and fluff off with fork. Gently mix the rice after 5 mins.
5. Serve hot as is or can be served with beans and heated tortilla.
How to make Mexican Rice
PREP TIME: 5 MINS COOK TIME: 18-20 MINS TOTAL TIME: 25 MINS COURSE: MAIN COURSE CUISINE: MEXICAN SERVINGS : 4-5
- long grain – 2 cups
- water – 4 cups
- tomato sauce – 2/3 cup
- onion – 1/2 cup, chopped
- garlic – 2 tsp, minced
- capsicum/bell peppers – 2/3 cup each, green and red
- roasted cumin/jeera powder – 2 tsp
- pepper – 1 tsp
- salt – 2 tsp/to taste
- cilantro – 2 tbsp, chopped
- oil – 4 tbsp
- Heat a pan with 3 tbsp oil, add chopped onions and minced garlic. Saute for about 2 mins.
- Add rice, saute the rice until it turns little brown. This helps the rice not to stick the grains each other.
- Add cilantro, capsicum, tomato sauce, salt, 1 tbsp oil, cumin powder (key ingredient, don’t skip this) and pepper. Mix everything well.
- Add water. Cover and bring to boil.
- Then cover and simmer for 20 mins or until all the liquid is completely absorbed. Put off heat.
- Wait for 5-10 mins and fluff off with fork. Then gently mix the rice.
- Serve hot as is or can be served with beans and heated tortilla. This rice can also be used in Enchiladas, chimmichanga.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days or freeze up to 6 months. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Use this Mexican Rice as a side for any Mexican food.
- No need to add red chilli powder as the pepper gives enough heat.